10 Ways to Workout for FREE! - by Claire Adelle aka Bear
Posted on 07 February 2018
With the growing awareness of the importance of living an active and healthy life, the fitness industry has boomed. Look around and you’ll see a gym on nearly every corner, personal trainers in the park - heck, even open up your Instagram and nearly every second post is somehow related to someone’s fitness journey.
There’s not much that you can’t buy these days - online workout programs, nutritional plans, supplements, cute activewear (*cough* Movement Mecca!) - but what is often not talked about is how much money all of these things cost. It’s not cheap. Unfortunately with the increasing cost in living what we sometimes forget is that access to these things is somewhat a classist issue. A personal trainer or a gym membership is a luxury. Even those of us who sit well above the line of minimum wage can struggle to afford it all. When that credit card bill hits in January what’s the first thing to go? Probably your PT sessions while you catch back up.
We know this. We’ve lived it and we hear you. When times get tough we don’t want you to have to wave goodbye to your health and fitness goals. So we compiled a list of 10 Ways You Can Workout For Free (in no particular order!):
1. Park Runs/Workouts - When the weather permits, head outside. There are so many lovely parks about for you to go for a run in. Want to turn it up a notch? Use the park benches and throw in step ups, push ups, dips and any other body weight movement along the way. No benches? That’s ok! Mix it up with short sprints between each tree or light post.
2. Beach Walks - For those of us lucky enough to live near the beach this is one of our favourites. Exercise doesn’t always have to be intense. Sometimes it’s just as beneficial to just get the body moving and slow down. Feel the sand between your toes. Listen to the waves breaking. Not spicy enough? Head up into the soft sand away from the shoreline, that will get you sweating quick smart!
3. Free Council Fitness - Most locals councils these days are aware of the importance of active living and have free sessions down by your local beach, park or community centre. There are often a variety of activities available like Bootcamps, Yoga and Tai Chi. A quick Google search will let you know what’s happening in your area.
4. Lululemon Events - Did you know that Lululemon run free yoga and fitness events almost every other week? Well you do now! These are a great way to get sweaty and meet new people in your area.
5. YouTube Videos - Just about every favourite fitspo of ours has a YouTube these days full of wonderful and FREE content! They have workouts for in the gym and at home so all bases are covered! Just make sure that person is reputable and qualified and you’re good to go!
6. Hiking - This is an awesome way to challenge your fitness and also get that good dose of nature at the same time. More often than not there are plenty of trails and National Parks only a short drive away. Climbing a mountain will make you feel accomplished, and you’ll even get the chance to take that sneaky Instagram shot at the top!
7. Free Trial Week Gym Memberships - Maybe you can afford to join a gym right now or you want to try a new style of fitness but aren’t sure if you’ll like it. Most gyms offer some form of free trial period for you to come and check them out. You can come and workout for free and if you didn’t like it, that’s ok, it didn’t cost you anything and you still go to try something new!
8. Home Workouts - The old 30-20-10 body weight workout is a staple. Think Burpees, Squats, Sit Ups, Push Ups - the list goes on. The beauty of these style of workouts is you can complete them just about anywhere. They are especially great travel workouts and can be done in the small space in your hotel room if you do not have access to a gym. Add as many movements as you like to suit your fitness level and the time you have available.
9. Park Sports - Don’t like exercise to feel like exercise? Grab some friends and a footy and head down to your local beach or park. You’ll be surprised how hard you will work when there’s a competition on the line. Best of all you’ll get some quality bonding time and have a few laughs on the way!
10. Free Fitness Apps - Most of us now have Smart Phones and a quick trip to the App Store will show you that there are plenty of free online resources available if you are not sure where to start.